Why Goose Byte
Do you wish that you could spend your work hours actually making games? We're offering that low-overhead-indie-team-productivity along with all of the stability and I-can-sleep-at-night big studio perks.
We're cultivating an inclusive, high performance, talent dense team where collaboration is key and we won't be tolerating talented jerks. High integrity is important and we nurture an environment built around the concepts of freedom, inclusivity, respect, sustainability, and trust.
This role is a hands-on design leadership role in a small indie team with high autonomy and trust. We’re looking for someone that is excited about translating creative vision into tangible features and collaborating with all disciplines to implement and iterate in the engine.
You are definitely a match if you are excited by these opportunities…
- Focus on game dev, first and foremost. Always know the next three tasks you want to tackle
- Think like a programmer, a designer, an artist, and a player all in one. Close off more tasks each week and assure the quality of your own work.
- Be very hands-on in the editor creating content and leading by example in creativity and ingenuity.
- Empowered to take responsibility for large areas of a game from concept to completion.
- Have a high-level view of a broad feature set and also zoom in on a specific feature and discuss details.
- Mentor other designers with hard and soft skills, and be involved with planning and organisation of long and short term deliverables.
- Champion design and share design knowledge across the entire team with an inclusive approach, bringing out the inner designer in every team member.
- Experienced and/or passionate about open world system design, indie games, science fiction, crafting systems, exploration, and non-violent gameplay.
- Being part of a small team at the start of a new company working on a new Intellectual Property. This means being a key part of the culture, shaping the identity of the team, the game, and the IP.
Each colleague that joins our studio is equally important to its success. As such, all of our benefits are available to everyone, effective from their first day with us. Being transparent about this equality and how we value our employees is a key part of who we are.
- Hybrid Remote work - we primarily work from home with provided high-end hardware and collaboration tools. We meet once a week in our Montreal office for collaborative work and socializing.
- Flexible schedule
- $1,000 yearly employee lifestyle fund - use this to stay healthy, social, comfortable or productive
- Equal opportunity and equal pay employer
- Team building and social events in Montreal
- Zero tolerance policy on harassment, bullying and discrimination
- No talented jerks
- Competitive base salaries for all jobs
- Low admin and manager overhead - No boring reccurring meetings
- An uncapped profitability bonus scheme that shares studio profits with everyone
- We offer everyone dedicated high end hardware to maximise productivity
- Commitment to a Crunch-free environment
- Competitive Group Insurance Plan (Healthcare, Vision, Dental, Life Insurance)
- Retirement fund - We match 50% of all employee RRSP contributions
- Studio shuts down one week for Winter Holidays
- Unlimited paid vacation for all employees - this means 5 weeks minimum
- Unlimited sick days / Family days / Flexi days
- All benefits start day one, for all employees
Get On Our Radar
We value diverse backgrounds and fresh perspectives. We hire based on future potential, not only your past experiences.
Perhaps you are:
- A technical designer that misses the creativity of design work
- A lead designer that misses being hands-on and wants to make things again
- A game designer that feels stuck in the assembly line of design documents
- A hyper-specialised designer that feels trapped and wants to adventure out into lots of different aspects of a game.
- Any designer that wants to be part of a smaller team making something experimental and different, tackling problems with no obvious solutions.
- Tired of the homogenous masculine power fantasies and dude-bro pew pew pews that dominate the industry.
The main technologies we use at the moment are:
- Unreal Engine 5
- Google Workspace
If you already have skills here it's a great bonus!
If you made it here and this sounds like a great fit for you, then what are you waiting for!